Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Raced myself out of racing shape...

An interesting phenomenon is going on with me...

I've done so much track racing, with moderate levels of success that I can't crit anymore.

Most track races for my age/skill are 30 laps or less. On our track that is just over 7 kilos at most. This would be steady state, with a few surges here and there, and at about 2 minutes per kilo, a long race is maybe 15 minutes...usually closer to 10.

At the crits the last few weeks, I've gone really strong for about.....10 minutes. And then blew up.

Chuckle. The funniest part of this is that I have ALWAYS been an endurance guy. Long rides are better, since I've never been able to sprint in any form, shape or fashion. Until the track.

And the track is the most fun I've ever had in a bike race outside of a few BMX races a million years ago.

So I have to decide what I want to be when I grow up...track racer with the ability to go really well on a short race, crit racer with the ability to sprint...corner...repeat, or long distace road/tt dude.

In any event, I'm just glad to be able to compete at any level. Thanks and praises to God for that, and the safety I've enjoyed in the racing I've done.

Cyclist to pray for: Todd L. Went down hard and mad last night at the crits. He's ok, the parts are dinged.

DB

No comments: