Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Goal met...now what?

I have 2 "results" goals for this year:

Track: Earn a Cat 3 upgrade - in progress

Road: Pack finish in a Cat 4 race (FDM crit or otherwise) - Done!

Despite the overcast skies and threats of rain, the racing was on last night in Plano. In the B race, I decided to expand upon the testing of the bigger gears that started last week. Out of turn 1 ever lap I jumped up to a gear or two higher than I normally have in the past, and for the most part it worked.

I was too far in the back a number of times but was able to work my way up when necessary. I was also using a cornering technique I learned from Coach Steen and that was a raging success, especially given how squirelly the pack was last night. Too many people trying to force 5 wide in corners and then having to hit the brakes. Ugh.

All in all, I was still in mid-pack when the bell rang. I backed off to let the sprinters and assorted other crazy guys fight for first place or crash or whatever. Some sprinted, some crashed.

I got my pack finish, and am very happy about it. Praise God for the safety and good sportsmanship all around. Even the crashers looked ok.

Next road goal: Do it again, and decent showing at state crit in late May.

Cyclist to pray for: MG - migraines are no fun.

DB

No comments: